Bicycles are becoming a increasingly popular choice of transport, as it is sustainable, quick and fairly cheap compared to other modes. This makes it an ideal cheap choice of travel to work. However, bike insurance is recommended to provide protection and cover for both you and your bicycle.
- A human on a bicycle is highly efficient in terms of energy used and distance travelled. This efficiency increases higher when gravity comes into play, when cycling downhill.
- The average person loses 13lbs or nearly 6 kilograms in just one year of cycling to work. Cycling also relieves stress and can prevent mental health issues such as depression, which can occur whilst working in a busy business.
- Cyclists travel three times as fast as a walking pedestrian, with walkers using up to six times more energy than the cyclist. Running takes up four times more energy than cycling.
- Employees exercising before work (fur example, by cycling to work) had better time and workload management than those who did not.
- In the Netherlands, bicycle use increased by 45% between 1977 and 1997, and cyclist deaths fell by 40%. This suggests that the more cyclists on the roads, the fewer cyclist injuries occur. This may be attributed to the fact that a larger number of cyclists means that drivers are more aware of cyclists on the road. More cyclists also means that cities are more likely to provide safer roads and facilities for cyclists.
- On average, maintaining a bike annually costs twenty times less than maintaining a car annually.